X CRAFT AND CHARIOTS Fraser, Ian Edward (Titch)

The Giant Killer
By David A. Yuzuk & Neil L. Yuzuk

John Robertson

Staff member
Ian Edward (Titch)
  • UNIT
R.N.R. HM Submarine XE 3
  • RANK
Victoria Cross
Singapore 1945
born 18.12.1920 Ealing,London
elder son of Sydney Fraser
educated Royal Grammar School,High Wycombe
educated HMS Conway (training ship)
Merchant Navy 1937
R.N.R. 1939
submarine service 1942
HMS Sahib
award D.S.C. 1943
X-Craft March 1944
retired from R.N.R. 1965 (Lt Cdr)
later Commander V.C.,D.S.C.,R.D. and bar
founded Universal Divers (civil engineering) 1947
managing director North Sea Diving Services 1965-1975
board of Star Offshore Services (retired 1982)
author "Frogman VC" (1957)
J.P.,Wallasey,Merseyside 1957
Younger Brother of Trinity House 1980
married Melba Estelle Hughes 1943 (6 children)
died 1.9.2008


Victoria Cross : Lieutenant Fraser commanded His Majesty's Midget Submarine XE-3 in a successful attack on a Japanese heavy cruiser of the Atago class at her moorings in Johore Strait, Singapore, on 31st July, 1945. During the long approach up the Singapore Straits XE-3 deliberately left the believed safe channel and entered mined waters to avoid suspected hydrophone posts. The target was aground, or nearly aground, both fore and aft, and only under the midship portion was there just sufficient water for XE-3 to place herself under the cruiser. For forty minutes XE-3 pushed her way along the seabed until finally Lieutenant Fraser managed to force her right under the centre of the cruiser.

Here he placed the limpets and dropped his main side charge. Great difficulty was experienced in extricating the craft after the attack had been completed, but finally XE-3 was clear, and commenced her long return journey out to sea. The courage and determination of Lieutenant Fraser are beyond all praise. Any man not possessed of his relentless determination to achieve his object in full, regardless of all consequences, would have dropped his side charge alongside the target instead of persisting until he had forced his submarine right under the cruiser. The approach and withdrawal entailed a passage of 80 miles through water which had been mined by both the enemy and ourselves, past hydrophone positions, over loops and controlled minefields, and through an anti-submarine boom.


Last edited by a moderator: