SAS Arnold, George Edward

John Robertson

Staff member
George Edward
  • UNIT
  • RANK
Lance Corporal
Military Medal
Italy 1944
parent unit Army Air Corps


Military Medal : Pvt. Arnold was one of a detachment of 2nd S.A.S. Regiment which was dropped in daylight by parachute in the area of CHIETI on the 2nd October 1943, with the object of collecting escaped British P.O.W., for embarkation under "A" Force arrangements.

On landing the party was fired on by the enemy who has seen the descent, but they managed to make good their escape. During the next week the party aided a total of 300 P.O.W. to the evacuation beach R.V.s.

After the 12th of October no more landing craft were available, but the party succeeded in finding a further 250 P.O.W. and putting them on to the best route to the Allied lines.

Between the 20th and 30th of October two German convoys were attacked by this party inflicting damage and casualties on the enemy.

For the next two months further P.O.W. were assisted by the party, and a number of Fascists who were actively assisting the Germans were killed.

On the 5th of January the party was resting outside a farm when some 30 German troops were observed approaching, they immediately made good their escape. Pvt. Arnold in company with Cpl. Nicolich, of "A" Force, continued to the north of the area for two days. They attempted to cross the lines near GUARDIAGRELE, where they contacted numerous P.O.W. awaiting an opportunity to get through the lines. Unfortunately a party of 16 P.O.W. who they assisted to escape were captured near MANOPELLO.

Arnold and Nicolich again moved North and succeeded in assisting P.O.W. to points where guides were contacted who took them through enemy lines. After some time, however, the Germans moved S.S. troops into the area and shot two Italians who had been assisting the British ex-P.O.W. to escape. At the end of March 44 Arnold and Nicolich decided that the presence of these troops had caused the ex-P.O.W. to withdraw northwards again. Accordingly of the 24th of March Arnold returned with Cpl. Nicolich to Allied lines by boat.

Pvt. Arnold was active behind the enemy lines for six moths. During this time he was largely responsible for the successful return of a considerable number of British ex-P.O.W.s, and continually showed a fine offensive spirit.

His devotion to duty during this period is worthy of high praise.


Last edited by a moderator: