SAS Greville-Bell, Anthony (Tony)

John Robertson

Staff member
Other Entry
Anthony (Tony)
  • UNIT
  • RANK
Lieutenant (T/Captain)
Distinguished Service Order
Italy 1943
parent unit Royal Engineers
born 7.3.1920 Sydney,N.S.W.,Australia
son of Captain W.E.G. Bell
educated Blundell's School,Tiverton,Devon
enlisted 1939
commission R.E.
1 SAS (D Squadron) late 1942-43 (Lt)
2 SAS 1943 (Lt)
attached Popski's Private Army 1943 (Lt)
2 SAS 1943-44 (Cap)
Liaison Officer,Airborne Forces HQ
21 SAS postwar
Malayan Scouts and 22 SAS (B Squadron) postwar
SAS in Malaya
Staff Officer SAS to C-in-C Middle East Forces
22 SAS (C.O. Regimental HQ) 1956
postwar scriptwriter,sculptor and amateur musician
had daughter from relationship when single
married Diana Carnegie 1945 (dissolved) (2 daughters)
married Helen Scott-Duff 1955 (dissolved)
married Ann Kennerley 1972 (dissolved)
married Lauriance Rogier 1996
other daughter to other relationship
died 4.3.2008


Distinguished Service Order : This officer was one of a party of 2 offrs & 5 men dropped by parachute North of Florence on 8 Sep 43, with the object of disorganising enemy railways & communications. Despite two broken ribs and other injuries sustained when landing in rocky country, Lt Bell took command of the part as the other office was missing after the drop. Although in great pain he lead the party for another 24 hours after which, finding himself forced to keep taking morphine on account of his injuries, he handed over command of the party to the senior N.C.O. although continuing to keep up with the party as well as he could. Two days later he felt well enough to re-assume command, and continued to lead his men under conditions of great hardship owing to lack of food and bad weather. With his party he derailed one train in a tunnel on the Pistooia - Bologna line, and later another on the Prato - Bologna line. Working round to the South of Florence they derailed a third train. Three weeks after dropping Lt Bell, on the way back through Central Italy towards Allied lines, organised a band of Italian partisans in telephone wire cutting and train-wrecking operations. On the fortieth day his party had a brisk exchange of fire with a German mobile patrol, taking 2 German prisoners, scattering the rest of the patrol and destroying a truck.

73 days after dropping Lieut Bell brought his party intact through enemy lines, after a march of over 250 miles.

This officer showed outstanding powers of leadership and unfailing judgement in most difficult circumstances. He was an inspiration to the small force under his command.


Last edited by a moderator:
Parachute Padre
By McLuskey J. Fraser
The Special Air Service
By Philip Warner