US PARAS 2 Waters, Gregory

John Robertson

Staff member
  • UNIT
506 Infantry Regiment (Air Assault) (1 Bn)
  • RANK
Silver Star (upgraded to DSC 2009)
Afghanistan 2008
from Indianapolis, Indiana
born 22.1.1984 Canton, Ohio
attended Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis
army medic
2009 Silver Star upgraded to Distinguished Service Cross


Distinguished Service Cross : The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Specialist Gregory A. Waters, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism while serving with the 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Infantry Division, in action on 30 July 2008, in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM in Afghanistan. On that date, Specialist Waters, a Medical Aidman, was part of a convoy returning to Forward Operating Base GHAZNI after an overnight operation. At about 1030 hours, when the convoy was 10 to 15 kilometers from the FOB, the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle in which he was riding and which was the lead vehicle in the convoy, was blown up by an improvised explosive device that severed the engine compartment and virtually destroyed the road. Almost immediately the stalled convoy came under fire from about 30 enemy fighters. The soldiers in the remaining three vehicles returned fire, while maneuvering their vehicles to shelter the damaged MRAP. Sergeant First Class Randy Shorter, a Mortar Platoon Sergeant in one of the other vehicles, sprinted across 100 meters through enemy fire and pried open the back door of the MRAP, finding the four soldiers inside wounded but alive. The gunner, Private First Class Worton, was on his back, and the .50-caliber machine gun had fallen on him, crushing the plates of his body armor and pinning him to the floor of the MRAP. Staff Sergeant Charles Porter had a broken arm and a broken nose, and Private First Class Paul Wind, the driver, had a severe back injury. Specialist Waters had suffered a concussion and head laceration. All of the wounded had trouble breathing in the smoky truck. While the wounded fought off the enemy, Specialist Waters ignored his own wounds and assisted by Sergeant First Class Shorter, treated the wounded while waiting for MEDEVAC helicopters to arrive. When the helicopters did arrive to evacuate the wounded, Specialist Waters remained behind, not wanting to leave the remaining soldiers without a medic as gunfire was continuing. His gallant actions and dedicated devotion to duty, without regard for his own life, were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Last edited by a moderator: